Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ten observations of a new town after nearly one month being there, oh, and the town being Ottawa.

1. People do not say Thank You to bus drivers, though, that being said, this over-politeness drove me mad in Victoria. It's their job!!!! Do you say Thank You to your Process Server? Of note, I was a Process Server and the most pleasant salutation I ever received was, "Fuck Off, Asshole."

2. When you cross the Rue Eddy Bridge into Hull it is a completely different world- I went there to get an ID Badge for work and I thought I was suddenly in Serbia. I've never been to Serbia, but I've seen pictures of it in National Geographic and Hull looked like it. Maybe it had something to do with the rusted out damn and the vacant industrial buildings. Or I was just being judgmental.

3. Hearing language such as someone saying to their dog "Resposez-vous Fucking Chien" is pretty normal. The point being mixed English French sentences. I further this on point 4, somewhat.

4. You can suddenly walk into a four block radius and everyone speaks French, then cross a street, and it's back to English and then lather, rinse, repeat!

5. There is the O-Train. And it runs nowhere important- common local rant. It doesn't go to the Airport or downtown. Imagine a Train that ran from Richmond to New West. Poor example, probably.

6. Despite the name of the suburb called "Barhaven", it is anything but.

7. The head down-body tilted forward-long jacket-speed walk look is pervasive. Even if it is not cold yet, it's like pre-season training. I originally thought it was some self-indulgent strut to ward off outsiders. I'm obviously wrong and walking like this when it actually gets cold probably saves lives.

8. It may be "Movember", but there are some really bad mustaches on young men that appear permanent or certainly more than a few weeks old. No joke. Unless girls find this attractive, they have slim pickings.

9. Street signs appear to be an option to local infrastructure planning.

10. Shanghai Greek Restaurant is the best place on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment